team journal



about Tom

Honda CBR1000RR

meet the team

our sponsors

support Tom


contact us

supported by

8th August 2011 

Doodson Motorsport - Brands Hatch GP

Photo courtesy of motoprofessional.com

Doodson Motorsport debutant Glenn Allerton was tantalisingly close to a podium finish at his first attempt in the British Superbike Championship before misfortune saw his Evo BMW run dry of fuel on the final lap at Brands Hatch.

With regular rider Tom Tunstall still recuperating following a broken pelvis, Australian Superbike Champion Allerton was drafted into the Doodson team only days before the eighth round of the British Superbike Championship.

Staged on the demanding 2.4mile Brands Hatch GP circuit, learning the track was only one of the challenges facing the 30 year old from Sydney. Fresh to the Pirelli slick tyres and with the schedule reduced from three to two days on track, time was not in favour of the Aussie.

Allerton’s pace was immediately impressive, having posted the third fastest Evo time in the opening free practice, however FP2 saw the Australian lose the front end of the BMW S1000RR into Druids bend, after only a few laps - luckily escaping without injury.

With just over an hour before qualifying and despite the team’s best efforts, there were was not enough time to repair the damage caused to the Doodson Motorsport BMW, leaving the likeable Australian placed last on the grid for race one.

Only moments before Saturday’s race start, a rain shower wreaked havoc for tyre selection and the choice of a front wet only lasted a few laps before the front gave up on the drying track. Pitting to change the front tyre along, with a large portion of the grid, Allerton ended the race as seventh Evo and ruing the lack of dry track time.

Sunday’s first race was fully dry and gave Allerton a chance to gain more vital time, ending the 20 lap outing in seventh but crucially doubling his experience around the Kent circuit.
With further tweaks to the machine for the third race, Allerton launched off the line and cut his way straight up to fourth by the end of lap one. After passing American Jake Zemke for third on lap five Allerton started to pull along a four rider battle for the rostrum.

With Zemke taking the place on Lap 18, Allerton had him well in his sights until the bike started to cut out with half a lap remaining and abruptly causing Glenn’s helmet to smash through the screen, before he could nurse the bike back home to sixth.

“I came to BSB confident I could get the bike on the Evo podium. It’s been a challenge to come to a new circuit that’s not easy to learn and I was picking it up pretty quick but the accident put us back with time on the track. The team worked really well to get the bike back together as fast as they did as there was a lot more damage than first appeared and a short turn around.”

“Sunday’s first race was difficult as we didn’t have the set up. A lot is different to the BMW I have in Australia, there’s a whole bunch of variables that are different with the tyres, suspension package, and electronics that I had to get used to”

“The second race I was happy with, I got a good start and set a good pace and looked like I was going to be on the Evo podium and the first BMW home, but had the problem with the fuel even though the tank was full to the brim, all in all I was happy with how it went considering it has been a learning weekend.”

 “Hopefully we can test and get the feel of the bike closer to how I’d like it and I’m sure we’ll get better results in the future”.

Glenn will now fly back home to Australia where he looks to extend his 56point lead in the Australian superbike championship.

The next round of the British series takes place at Cadwell Park over the August bank holiday weekend [27th-29th August].

Photo courtesy of motoprofessional.com

Photo courtesy of motoprofessional.com

Photo courtesy of motoprofessional.com